How to act

In case of an immediate threat call the police help line - 158

The police are required to react to distress calls and intervene. The police force can also expel the perpetrator for a 10-day period regardless of the legal relation of the victim/perpetrator to the shared household (that is, a perpetrator may be expelled even if they are the legal owner or leaseholder in the household). The length of the expulsion can be extended through an injunction proposal to the court. The time during expulsion can be utilized by the victims to recover and explore solutions to their situation.

Seek professional help and consult how to proceed in your situation

You can call following help lines at any given time

  • Non-stop help line for victims of domestic violence DONA: 251 511 313

  • Non-stop help line Acorus: 283 892 772

  • Prague city crisis hotline: 222 580 697


Book an appointment for personal consultation with specialized domestic violence support organizations:

How to proceed after physical assault

  • Call the police help line - 158

  • Seek medical treatment and ask for a medical report

  • Take photographs of any visible injuries or other physical damage to your possessions / in your household

  • Contact specialized support to consult solutions

How to report domestic violence - police recommendations

1. If a situation is not acute, report your case at a police department corresponding to your permanent address. This department will take charge of your case. You will also avoid the risks related to other departments transferring your case by mail to the corresponding department. However, every police officer is obliged to take necessary measures in case of imminent threat.


2. In case of distrust towards the workers at your local police department, especially if you had previous negative experience, you have the right to report your case at any police department of Czech Republic, alternatively at the public prosecutor's office.

3. If you are certain that a relative or acquaintance of a violent person works at the police department in charge of your case, you can raise an objection to bias or a complaint. A complaint about the police procedure can be submitted to the department of internal control of the regional directorate of the capital city of Prague or at the district public prosecutor's office.

4. When reporting a case, if you feel that the police officer is downplaying your case, trivializing it, or for various reasons trying to talk you out of reporting it, we recommend requesting presence of a superior and stating your doubts about the conduct of the given officer. In any case, you have the right to insist on recording your statement.

5. In case that a police officer refuses to deal with your case and file a report in written form, write down their six-digit service number indicated on a tin badge on their uniform. This must be visibly marked on every police officer on duty and must be provided to you on request. This is especially important for a potential complaint - the police officer ceases to be anonymous and in most cases begins to behave more actively and helpfully.

6. Read carefully the instructions of the announcer or the victim in the criminal proceedings which the police officers submit to the announcer before the interrogation, in particular the final passage which contains the clause that the announcer requests to be notified of the measures taken after one month.

7. During the interrogation, speak openly and truthfully; by stating false information you risk subsequent prosecution for defamation or false accusation. It is best to prepare your statement in advance, especially when reporting about physical and psychological domestic violence.

8. At the end of your announcement ask the Police of the Czech Republic to put on record that you express a wish to be notified of the measures taken (reclassification of the offence as a criminal offence, termination of investigation, transfer to another department, submission of the offence, notification of release of the violent person from custody, etc.).

9. Request a copy of the official record (the announcer will receive it free of charge, witnesses pay for the copy) - you have the right to a copy of all protocols and records that the police have written with you.

10. Carefully read the protocol written by the police, you have the right to ask for additions or changes to wordings that shift the meaning of the statement.

11. A police officer may record a notification of a case of domestic violence under the form of given statement according to § 12 of Act No. 283/1991 cc. Alternatively, if the whole situation appears to be a criminal offence from the beginning, they should use the protocol § 5 of the Criminal Procedure Code. However, the form used does not affect the initiation of criminal proceedings, the factual nature of the crime, its recognition by the police officer and the subsequent initiation of criminal proceedings on the basis of the established facts are important.

12. If you decide to file a complaint against the police, it should be as specific as possible. It should contain all known data about the member or employee of the police or about the police department to which it is directed (name, service number, or registration mark of the company vehicle whose crew intervened against the person). It is also important to accurately report the place and time of the act or conduct that was the cause of the complaint, adding any witnesses or details that would help to specify the situation.

In particular, it must contain:


i. name, surname, and contact postal address and signature of the complainant;

ii. a brief description of what the complainant demands and possibly indicate what rights of the complainant were violated and how;

iii. as much specific information as possible to assist the investigation.


Complaint about the police action (including their inactivity in relation with the announcement of an incident with signs of domestic violence) can be filed at the Internal Control Department of the Regional Directorate of the capital city of Prague.

If your children bear witness to domestic violence, it is recommended to inform the relevant department of child protection services.

If you are leaving a household shared with a violent person, please do not forget:

  • Your ID, passport, birth certificate

  • Your health insurance card, any important medical notes and medicine

  • Your driving licence

  • Copy of your tenancy agreement

  • Documents related to your bank accounts, passbooks, life insurance, etc.

  • Documents related to your share of property or marital property (including household furnishings, etc.)

  • Your money and valuable possessions that belong to you

  • Any important contacts and telephone numbers (relatives, friends, doctors, etc.)

  • Valuable objects of your children (toys, clothing, etc.)

We recommend to make copies of all important documents before leaving and to hide them outside your household either in your office or at a trusted contact (e.g. a family member, trusted friend). Do not forget to do the same with documents and necessities of your children.

How can you help another person under threatened by domestic violence

  1. Seek information about available help and share contacts and places where the person can seek help. Share the contacts confidentially so that the violent person cannot learn about them. You can suggest to the threatened person to learn these contacts by memory.

  2. If a threatened person confides their situation to you, try to be understanding and supportive. Do not question or downplay their statements, remain empathetic.

  3. Give the person adequate time but do not ask about details unless they wish to speak about them.

  4. Offer concrete help – protecting their documents, accompanying them to institutions or supportive organisations for appointments, allowing them to use your device to contact support 

  5. Do not try to make contact with the violent person. You could put yourself and the person you are helping in more danger.

© 2017 Intervenční centrum, CSSP

Chelčického 39, Praha 3 - Žižkov

281 911 883, 734 510 292